Kundalini yoga is an ancient yoga that combines practices like hatha yoga, meditation, pranayam and kriya yoga and works towards bringing the body and mind to a place of balance and health.
It is a yoga that was passed from teacher to disciple in secrecy for thousands of years. In 1969, Yogi Bhajan brought Kundalini Yoga to the west and, for the first time, it was taught in public to the masses.
What is Kundalini?
Kundalini is your creative potential. For many of us, this potential lies dormant within us – blocked by beliefs, circumstances, mental processes and many other things.
Kundalini yoga is about connecting you with this potential. It is about removing the blocks that stand in our way – mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually. It is about raising our awareness of ourselves so that we can truly live our lives using this potential every day.
Why I love this yoga:
- Kundalini Yoga is a practice that ANYONE can do. You don’t have to be a pretzel to really enjoy and benefit from this yoga. If you are quite fit, it will help to balance your outer fitness with inner health and mental focus. If you are quite sedentary or out of shape, it gets the body moving, increasing circulation, flexibility and strength at exactly the level you are at!
- This yoga works on inner health as well as outer. It works on getting the energy moving through the body, clearing the chakras and creating greater health and wellness.
- It is invigorating in ways that I haven’t experienced in other exercise programs.
- This complements any other activities that you love – from creative writing to running to downhill skiing to day-to-day chores.
- Teaches phenomenal relaxation tools that become second-nature when you are under stress.
- Regular social time after class creates an opportunity to get to know other like-minded people and make new friends
Benefits of Kundalini Yoga:
|Physical||Mental / Emotional||Spiritual||Social|
Stronger nervous system
Decreased blood pressure
Relief from depression
Greater inner peace & serenity
Bring your spirituality into your exercise and life
|A chance to make new friends
Social activity to share with friends
What can I expect in a class?
- Pranayam: Breathing Techniques
- Yoga Kriya:
- A set of exercises that will work on particular body systems
- Get the prana (life force) moving throughout the body
- increase flexibility, muscle strength and balance
- centres one’s emotions
- learn how to handle stress and let go
- calm the mind
- develop your intuition
- recognize what is real and important to you
- Yogi Tea Social Time
- A wonderful time to relax and chat with others in the class
What should I bring to class?
- A blanket or sheepskin to sit on
- A blanket to cover yourself during relaxation
- A pillow or zafu to sit on. This pillow is for sitting on in a cross-legged meditative position on the floor. So pick one that makes sitting on the floor cross-legged comfortable for you. (Note: if sitting on the floor is not what’s going to happen, that’s OK! Sitting postures can also be done in a chair!)
Kundalini Yoga – At Home
If you can’t get to class, live a distance away, or are a little uncomfortable doing yoga in a group, then you can still take part and do our classes any time you’d like!
Other reasons people have bought 5-packs for home!!
It’s snowing like crazy and I miss doing yoga!!
I wanted to do it at home a couple times before coming out so I knew what I was getting into…
I love being able to do the same kriya for a while on my own for healing…
It’s snowing again!!!!